2011 / 7 / 25
I was not to write this article about one certain party. This article is about all the parties in Egypt which was nothing at all but an ornament in the political life in Egypt. one might think that after the Egyptian revolution we should stop talking about their history, structure, and the impact of that on their way of thinking simply we should forgive them. But on contrary this circumstances make us eager to search beyond the surface of Egyptian political parties. and today I begin with the so-called the largest opposition party in Egypt.
In 2009 I decided to search in the opposition circles and decided myself to talk this route and be part of it. In my way I had an experience with Al-Wafd party. I decided to join Al-wafd and was at first enthusiastic with this experience. I filled an application and gave them the documents needed. All procedures was finished perfectly but I was struck by many things that converted my experience from appositive one totally to a negative one. first, they had no idea about the address of the base of the party in Shubra which I should join according to my address, they had no data base. Secondly, they gave me several books one of them was entitled "political Decision Making In Egypt…Abdul Nasser…Sadat. Mubarak" I opened it and Headed forward to the third part which was about president Mohammed Hosni Mubarak. I expected an opposition but I found none of it. This part of the book was an opposition to the rumors that Al-Wafd is one of the opposition parties. In page 127 from the latter book president Mubarak was described as fallows:
- A believer in democracy.
- A believer in civil liberties and the evidence is the large margin of freedom given to media and opposition.
- He is a fighter against corruption regardless to the corrupt person.
- He has no tendency to violence or revenge from his political enemies.
- His success and continuity in authority is a result of the citizins believing in him.
This book was printed in 2001 but can that justify the distribution of it in 2009 or 2010 when I applied for a membership?
But how did the matter look like before 2001:
1- in June 2000, a year before printing of the book we speak of , Dr. Saad Eddin Ibrahim was arrested , a leader of human rights advocacy in Egypt and professor at American University in Cairo, and director of "Ibn Khaldun Center for Development Studies," in his home in Cairo. Also arrested a number of the staff working with him in the center, including the financial director Nadia Abdel Nour, and in November the trial of 28 individuals who were charged with crimes, most notably the publication of false information abroad, and having financial support from foreign bodies without permission, and Forgery , and bribery. The charges was on the background of the projects of the Center for the Advancement of participation in the elections.
2 -. A verdict on 30 off the "prisoners" of opinion in prison for a period ranging between six months and five years, and 20 of them were still being held at the end of the year.
3 - Holding of thousands of prisoners without charges or trials.
4 -. In January 1999, there were clashes between Christians and Muslims that killed 20 Christians and one Muslim. In June the trial of 96 people began, and in December all of them were released without a financial guarantee.
5. In February, the Office of the General Attorney declared that the case against Hafez Abu Sa ada, Secretary-General "of the Egyptian Organization for Human Rights", will be forwarded to the Supreme Court of State Security, but Hafez Abu Sa ada received later oral assurances stating that the issue will be closed. The investigation was with Hafez Abu Sa ada began in November 1998 after a report "of the Egyptian Organization for Human Rights" violations of human rights in the village of Upper Egypt, a village populated mostly by Christians, and the he was remanded in custody pending further investigation.
After all these evidence you may wonder about what was wrote in the book about Mubarak? And haw an opposition party like El Wafed allocated this book?
Now the real question is that will El Wafed party keeps going in this ugly opposition? Or change his way under the leadership of El Badawy toward a real opposition activities