Defend International (DI) is pleased to announce the launch of the campaign Clean Cooking Solutions in the MENA region to raise awareness among women and girls in the Middle East and North Africa region about the dangers of relying on inefficient cookstoves and fuels that have a huge impact on human health in the region. As partner of the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves, an initiative led by the United Nations foundation to mobilize high-level national and donor commitments toward the goal of universal adoption of clean cookstoves and fuels, DI welcomes sponsorships for this campaign.
The campaign will pursue several, interrelated objectives, including:
- Coordinating activities related to the promotion of clean cookstoves-;-
- Providing a platform for discussion and the exchange of information on matters and activities relevant to the adoption of clean and efficient stoves and fuels, including cooperation projects by DI members-;-
- Obtaining information on the incidence, severity and causes of cookstove burns and other injuries in this region to test and further develop existing safety protocols-;-
- Building capacity (e.g., training courses etc.), in particular facilitating the work of the actors involved to carry out field evaluation to determine the impacts of cleaner stoves/fuels on the aforementioned outcomes-;-
- Building a bridge between potential partners and communities whose work is relevant to the campaign, such as environmental and health communities, and organizations active in the areas of women s and girls rights, inter alia, as well as actors involved in ending violence against women and girls-;-and
- Developing tools and resources that can be utilized and replicated by stakeholders to ultimately identify the key gender and empowerment activities that are required to scale up the clean cookstove and fuel markets, and ensure that women are economically empowered through these emerging markets-;-
The campaign will be inclusive and informal. "Participation and coordination are important to fulfilling the objectives outlined above," said Dr Widad Akrawi, who has shaped the policy of this initiative. "All Governments, organizations and associations in the MENA region that are willing to endorse our objectives are welcome to join the campaign."
# # #
About Defend International
Defend International is a Norway-based independent, voluntary, health-related NGO devoted to defending human rights and diplomacy. It forms a worldwide community of DI Defenders, supporters, stakeholders, subscribers and friends and committed to act with objectivity in all matters related to human rights, including the right to health.
Defend International is a partner of the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves, a public-private initiative led by the United Nations foundation to save lives, improve livelihoods, empower women and protect the environment by creating a thriving global market for clean cooking solutions.